As an autonomous community of the county of Jesi for more than six and a half centuries, the city of Poggio Cupro under Napoleon was oppressed in 1812 and merged with Maiolati; it was precisely in this circumstance that an unsuccessful attempt was made to withdraw the Eremo delle Grotte from the territory of Massaccio and to be included in that of Poggio and then in that of Maiolati.
By decree of Pope Leo XII on 21 December 1827, Poggio Cupro was deprived of the jurisdiction of Maiolati and became part of the Castle of Cupramontana.
The castle still retains the old medieval layout, including the boundary walls, and inside the only entrance door has been preserved with a fresco of the Madonna with child attributed to Pietro Paolo Agabiti and painted in 1529.
The church of San Salvatore is located on the highest point of the ancient castle of Poggio Cupro, mentioned since the beginning
1199 in the Bull of Innocent III who confirms his vast estates to the abbey of St. Helena.
The castle and its parish were under the religious and civil jurisdiction of the Camaldolese monks of St. Helena.
The Church built in the 12th century was probably rebuilt in the second half of the 16th century, thus acquiring a Renaissance imprint.
The interior consists of a single nave covered with wooden trusses and two vaulted side chapels. The apse is separated by a balustrade of stone columns.
Other simple renaissance elements in stone stand out inside, like the ambo or pulpit on the right wall with a lively scene of the Annunciation, the Tabernacle, a real little temple inserted in the wall of the right apse wall, the small Baptistery and the Holy Water font.
Of notable interest is the fresco depicting San Floriano found in 1965, is the oldest image of the patron of Jesi and the countryside.
The church also preserves a "Dead Christ" in painted wood from the first half of the 16th century.