Cupramontana hamlet, with a medieval wall structure.
The castle was built before the year 1000 by refugees from the destroyed Roman city of Cupra Montana.
Autonomous community of the county of Jesi for over six and a half centuries, the municipality of Poggio Cupro was suppressed under Napoleon in 1812 and aggregated to Maiolati; in this circumstance the unsuccessful attempt was made to remove the Hermitage of the Massaccio Caves to include it in Poggio and then in Maiolati.
With decree of Pope Leo XII on 21 December 1827 Poggio Cupro was subtracted from the jurisdiction of Maiolati and joined to the castle of Cupramontana.
The castle still retains the ancient medieval layout, including the city walls, and inside the single entrance door it is preserved a fresco depicting the Madonna and Child attributed to Pietro Paolo Agabiti and painted in 1529.
The church of San Salvatore is located on the highest point of the ancient castle of Poggio Cupro, of which we have mentioned since
1199 in the Bull of Innocent III which confirms its vast possessions to the abbey of Saint Helena.
The castle and its parish were under the religious and civil jurisdiction of the Camaldolese monks of S. Elena.
The Church, built in the 12th century, was probably rebuilt in the second half of the '500, thus acquiring a Renaissance imprint.
The interior consists of a single nave covered with wooden trusses and two side vaulted chapels. The apse is separated by a balustrade of stone columns.
Other simple Renaissance stone elements stand out inside, such as the ambo or pulpit on the right wall with a lively scene of the Annunciation, the Tabernacle, a real temple inserted in the wall of the right wall of the apse, the small Baptistery and the Acquasantiera.
Of great interest is the fresco depicting San Floriano found in 1965, it is the oldest image of the patron saint of Jesi and of the countryside.
The church also preserves a "Dead Christ" in painted wood from the first half of the '500.